From as far back as she can remember Michelle wanted to be a business owner. Starting out as a landscape photographer, and a magazine article writer before setting up her first official business as a freelance graphic designer. Although this is now history, she shares her journey, and how she got to where she is today.
Based on experience Michelle tells us what inspired her to set up her own Facebook group ‘Laptops & Lattes Community’ – a welcome place for other home-based business owners to connect. Also, a place Michelle shares her skills and wisdom.
For the most part Michelle walks us through the five different stages of business growth and what they mean. Although we are all on our own journey there are certain stages we go through where our objectives need to change to keep the momentum going.
- Starting – you’ve just launched and are looking to secure clients. Sometimes offering an unpaid gig to gain experience, or in return for a review.
- Emerging – business is up and running and you have a few clients on your books. You’ve gained some experience and are now ready for more clients, as you settle into a new routine and master your increased daily workload.
- Established – you’re close to or at capacity. You’re in the swing of things but can’t afford (or find time to prepare) to outsource. You know you have to make changes to move forward, and look at refining things like your marketing, pricing, your mindset etc…. this is the hardest to get through, as you feel like you’ve entered a plateau. Hang in there, the next phase is beautiful.
- Flourishing – business is running well. You’re at capacity, it’s easy for you to gain clients, your business is profitable and sustainable. You’re earning enough to support your lifestyle. Although your strategies are working, you can still adapt and refine.
- Scaling – things are working well. You want to take it to the next level. Revenue possibilities are infinite. Try things out, you still don’t have to have all the answers at this stage. Make sure whatever you’re doing is aligned with your own vision, and values.
Tuning in to this episode will have you smiling and nodding your head as you realise which stage you are in right now, and the stages you have been through so far on your business journey.
Michelle has some fabulous free resources over on her website, including an eBook ’12 reasons your business isn’t growing (and what to do about it)’.
As promised, here’s the link to her website https://www.michellemarks.com. You’ll find the Masterclasses Sarah referred to in this episode there too.
Don’t forget to head over to Facebook and join Michelle’s group, ‘Laptops & Lattes Community’.
Here are the other places you can connect with Michelle: