This episode was recorded and put live on Friday 7th July 2023, just 24 hours after the Threads App went live. Please note that some of this data is date sensitive.
In this episode, we dive into the launch of Threads, the latest app from Meta, which is generating a lot of buzz in the social media world. Threads is an Instagram app and is being touted as a rival to Twitter, offering a predominantly text-based platform.
Where I am in Perth, Western Australia, I downloaded the app at 5.46am and was not able to set up my account. Fast forward an hour or so later and I was on – my account is officially 437,912
According to the official Mark Zuckerberg profile @zuck on threads the first day for Threads was meteoric
- 2 million sign ups in the first 2 hours
- 5 million in the first 5 hours
- 10 million in the first 7 hours
- 30 million in the first day
Here is a summary of some of the features and limitations of the Threads App
- Increased Character Limit: Threads allows users to post up to 500 characters, compared to Twitter’s 280-character limit for non-verified accounts.
- Links and Media: Unlike Instagram, Threads allows users to add links to their posts. It also supports photos and videos, with a 5-minute limit for videos.
- No Reels, Stories, or Messaging: Unlike Instagram, Threads does not offer features such as Reels or Stories. It is primarily focused on text-based content.
- Verification: If you already have a blue verification tick on your Instagram account, it will carry over to Threads.
- Post Editing and Hashtags: Users can delete posts on Threads but are unable to edit them. Currently, hashtags do not work on the platform.
- No Trending Stories: Threads does not have a feature for trending stories like other social media platforms.
- GIF Integration: Users can easily add GIFs to their posts using a simple paste function.
Concerns and EU Launch: Meta’s dominance in screen time raises concerns about spending even more time on their platforms. Threads has not yet launched in the EU due to regulatory uncertainty and strict data privacy laws.
- Why Threads is gaining popularity:
Platform Fatigue: Many users are experiencing fatigue from other social media platforms, especially Facebook.
- Twitter Troubles: Meta’s acquisition of Twitter for $40 billion and subsequent dismantling of the platform has
- caused controversy, with Elon Musk even sending a cease-and-desist notice to Meta over claims of stolen Twitter intellectual property.
- Simplified Content Creation: Users appreciate the simplicity of Threads, as it eliminates the need to create complex content like reels and stories.
My own personal experience with Threads:
- Excitement over the fun, new, and fresh experience of using Threads.
- Reconnecting with people followed on Instagram but lost track of.
- Level playing field as everyone learns and explores the app together.
Join us on this episode as we delve into the world of Threads, exploring its features, limitations, and the impact it may have on the social media landscape.